Below you will find the guidelines for submitting your story:
- Please do not post other peoples work, that’s cheating. No one wants to be a cheater
- No copyrighted photos. Free online stock photos or photos you have taken yourself are encouraged or I can find suitable photos if you wish
- Please avoid suggesting that another person’s circumstances are better or worse than your own. Everyone is fighting their own battle and minimising others is counterproductive
- Be mindful to quote your sources, I can help with this if you need it
- Think about the privacy of loved ones, friends and strangers mentioned in your story. Be respectful when sharing details of others’ lives.
- Try and tell your story from your own perspective. Try not to make assumptions about how others in your story are feeling or thinking.
Some story ideas:
If you aren’t sure what to submit here are some ideas. You don’t have to take any of the examples below, you can write about whatever you want. But here are some ideas for those that are a wee bit daunted.
- What is your mental illness?
- How is your daily life affected?
- Tips and tricks for living with your mental illness
- How you cope knowing your loved one lives with mental illness
- How your loved ones illness affects you
- A story about an event
- Something that you have learned
- What are some quirks that no one knows about your illness
- Something controversial about your illness
- What helps you?
- A funny event that has happened as a result of your illness
- ANYTHING your wee heart desires
Yours can be whatever you want. A variety of stories would be a wonderful resource for others to read and know that they are not alone. However, just because someone has written about their experience with depression, it doesn’t mean you can’t too. Everyone experiences things differently and no two people will have the same experience. All stories are valid and needed.
Some more examples:
- AllyEveryday on living with anxiety
- Shaquille on how a holistic lifestyle changed her anxiety prognosis
- Mr Back on living with someone with OCD
Other things to note:
- Submissions will be posted regularly but be aware, it may take a couple of weeks for yours to be included, depending on demand.
- I will edit appropriately but will always email you back with the edits so you can veto them. I will only edit grammar, spelling and other things that don’t take away from your story, the emotion and the message.
- You can choose to stay anonymous or to add your name, website and other links. This is your choice. I am happy to respect either wish.
- This is a safe space where you can be honest about your feelings. No one is here to tell you how to feel.
- All perspectives are welcome – from people living with mental health, from family members, from friends, from people who work with mental illness and everyone else. Everyone has their own story to share and each is as valuable as the last.
If you want to share your story, fill out this contact form and Bob’s your uncle.